26 March 2008

Donut House Says It's Staying Put


I was startled by a report yesterday that the Donut House of Court Street might be picking up and packing out, so I walked straight to the age-old diner, sat myself down at the counter and ordered me some lunch.

I asked the counter man if it was true that they were closing. He said no. "Where would we go?" So I ate my cheeseburger deluxe, which was, frankly, excellent. Things were tranquil and friendly at the joint, which must have the most undemonstrative color scheme in diner history—off-white and tan. The old Greek man in the toupee who seems to run the place was serving folks with an extra toothy smile.

To get a second opinion, I went next door to a deli and asked if they had heard anything about the Donut House going bye-bye. They adamantly said it was not closing. Take it for what it's worth, but that's what I found out.

2 comments:

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

I'm so glad! When I heard about Olive Vine going in, I was worried it would put them under. My husband and I had our first date at the Donut House. Very unromantic, but the eggs were excellent.

Anonymous said...

I wish they were open later. The hood could really use a late night diner. The "new St. Clair" is awful and Happy Days on Montague has been "undergoing renovations" for awhile now.